Stay informed with the
NEW Casino City Times newsletter!
Best of Alan Krigman
More Strategy Experts
- Can you make a few bucks always betting on the 12 at craps?
(17 June 2013)
- Is there a “best” way to play Let It Ride?
(10 June 2013)
- What are the chances of a jackpot at the slots?
(3 June 2013)
- Why would anyone “take the bank” at Pai Gow Poker, rather than just bet more?
(27 May 2013)
- What are the chances of royal flushes in various games?
(20 May 2013)
- Why do high “counts” at blackjack help players and not dealers?
(13 May 2013)
- What happens to doubles and splits when dealers have blackjacks?
(6 May 2013)
- Do the slots make payout adjustments for people who bet bills or coupons and not coins?
(29 April 2013)
- Why can you take 6X odds on some numbers at craps but not others at a 5X table?
(22 April 2013)
- What happens if a blackjack dealer doesn’t give a player a card when a hit is requested?
(15 April 2013)
- What’s the best way to tip dealers at craps?
(8 April 2013)
- Are some wagers at double-zero roulette better than their single-zero counterparts?
(1 April 2013)
- Which casino workers know when a slot machine is ready to hit?
(25 March 2013)
- Why can’t craps players take back their Pass and Come bets?
(18 March 2013)
- Why do some casinos make you wait until after a shuffle to enter a blackjack game?
(11 March 2013)
- What’s the difference between ties and pushes in casino gambling?
(4 March 2013)
- How often can you expect to win one, two, or three bets at Let It Ride?
(25 February 2013)
- How do you identify the slots that are scheduled for big payoffs?
(18 February 2013)
- Why can you write down past results at any casino game except blackjack?
(11 February 2013)
- Does “mini-craps” differ from the regular game in any important way?
(4 February 2013)
- Are there exceptions to Basic Strategy in blackjack for certain hand compositions?
(28 January 2013)
- What’s the difference between taking bets “down” or “off” at craps?
(21 January 2013)
- Why does the casino charge a commission on winning Banker bets at Baccarat?
(14 January 2013)
- Why do some roulette wheels have a 0 but no 00?
(7 January 2013)
- Side bets: cheap at the price or expensive in the end?
(24 December 2012)
- Why so many gamblers (you?) see patterns in the progress of the games
(17 December 2012)
- Why small wagers on high-edge side bets may not be as bad as some say
(10 December 2012)
- How often do various outcomes occur in games of chance?
(3 December 2012)
- The most enduring casino games are the most elegant
(26 November 2012)
- Is it always best to double down in blackjack when Basic Strategy says to?
(19 November 2012)
- Why don't casino players avoid the high-edge games?
(12 November 2012)
- Do wild cards give you a better chance to win at video poker?
(5 November 2012)
- How good is your total against various dealer upcards at blackjack?
(29 October 2012)
- How bet size and other factors affect your chances of extending your bankroll
(22 October 2012)
- Probability, Frequency, and Luck
(15 October 2012)
- What Conditional Expectations Say About Betting the Odds at Craps
(8 October 2012)
- For the faint of heart, here's another way to look at blackjack splits
(1 October 2012)
- The law of large numbers and the anarchy of small samples
(24 September 2012)
- Taking or laying Odds at craps lowers the edge, but does it really pay?
(17 September 2012)
- A guide to anticipating bankroll swings in games you haven't tried yet
(10 September 2012)
- Beware of rule variations: little things can mean a lot
(3 September 2012)
- Should you bet on the Field at craps?
(27 August 2012)
- Everything you need to or should know about soft blackjack hands
(20 August 2012)
- Do your chances of winning get better if you keep playing?
(13 August 2012)
- How much more can casino gamblers bet than they bring?
(6 August 2012)
- Would you rather have $50 in match play or $25 to bet in cash?
(30 July 2012)
- How does choice affect the odds of forming ranked five-card poker hands?
(23 July 2012)
- Realistically, how often can slot players expect to hit jackpots?
(16 July 2012)
- How does edge on Pass and Come bets at craps change during the game?
(9 July 2012)
- Why breaking up is hard to do... pairs, in blackjack, especially
(2 July 2012)
- Of blind men, elephants, and pairs of eights against 10s at blackjack
(25 June 2012)
- How do the casinos set the payoffs on their games?
(18 June 2012)
- Why and how edge at blackjack changes during the course of a shoe
(11 June 2012)
- A rebate on losses gives players the edge... up to a point
(4 June 2012)
- Should you avoid keno just because the gurus rail against it?
(28 May 2012)
- The peril of faster action at the casino, and how to forestall it
(21 May 2012)
- Should you toss a buck on longshots with high house advantage?
(14 May 2012)
- Why the slot machine return percentage you pay for isn't what you get
(7 May 2012)
- What are the chances of various wins and losses per hand at blackjack?
(30 April 2012)
- Why you can win when the casino has an edge, or lose when it doesn't
(23 April 2012)
- Can you make sound gambling decisions not knowing the odds of winning?
(16 April 2012)
- What is so great about taking or laying Odds at craps?
(9 April 2012)
- Why is blackjack better for players when dealers must stand on soft 17?
(2 April 2012)
- The pros and cons of concentrating and spreading your bets
(26 March 2012)
- Why not all unresolved craps bets can be changed once they've been at risk
(19 March 2012)
- What look like small changes in games can have big monetary effects
(12 March 2012)
- Is Basic Strategy at blackjack really right about soft 18s and 19s?
(5 March 2012)
- Is there a cap on the chance you'll make big bucks with a small bankroll?
(27 February 2012)
- Is the optimum strategy the same for 9-6 and 8-5 video poker?
(20 February 2012)
- What Guinness Stout says about how well you play blackjack?
(13 February 2012)
- Should you bet on the trend you perceive or did just it occur by chance?
(6 February 2012)
- What does proficiency at blackjack get you?
(30 January 2012)
- What bets offer the most chance to reach win goals before hitting loss limits?
(23 January 2012)
- Should you play the multi-line slots – and if so, how?
(16 January 2012)
- How do betting strategies affect your blackjack performance?
(9 January 2012)
- Why don't more craps players make Lay bets? Or, do they?
(2 January 2012)
- How bet size and decision rate affect your gambling prospects
(26 December 2011)
- Why you can't judge a slot machine by its belly glass
(19 December 2011)
- Pinning numbers on the hopes and fears of blackjack
(12 December 2011)
- How different are your strongest and weakest blackjack starting hands?
(5 December 2011)
- Who should craps buffs thank or blame for too few or too many sevens?
(28 November 2011)
- How do the gurus decide what's the best way to handle a video poker hand?
(21 November 2011)
- Is it preferable to spread or concentrate your bets at craps?
(14 November 2011)
- How does volatility affect your chances of gambling success?
(7 November 2011)
- Why slots that look identical may differ greatly
(31 October 2011)
- How does edge affect your chance of winning at roulette?
(24 October 2011)
- How does edge affect your chances of winning at blackjack?
(17 October 2011)
- What does edge cost you per hour at craps?
(10 October 2011)
- Can you make big bucks at the casinos starting with a small bankroll?
(3 October 2011)
- Are side or bonus bets at blackjack (or other games) as bad as the gurus say?
(26 September 2011)
- Ever have one of those days when you never get ahead?
(19 September 2011)
- Should you lay odds on Don't Pass and Don't Come bets at craps?
(12 September 2011)
- Why faith in the law of averages is misplaced
(5 September 2011)
- Casinos let you have the odds, but not the edge
(29 August 2011)
- Would the bosses be giving away the casino with 10s-or-better video poker?
(22 August 2011)
- What price do you pay for not doubling down or splitting pairs in blackjack?
(15 August 2011)
- How do casinos decide what edge to put on the different bets?
(8 August 2011)
- Do you discount the significance of the come-out roll at craps?
(1 August 2011)
- How'd you like a game where the house counts the cards for you?
(25 July 2011)
- Do payoffs always track the odds overcome to win a bet?
(18 July 2011)
- What's so bad about splitting pairs of 10s in blackjack?
(11 July 2011)
- To win big bucks, parlays can beat playing the slots
(4 July 2011)
- Match play promotions are better than you may think
(27 June 2011)
- What's the edge on Buy bets at craps?
(20 June 2011)
- How does the “count” in blackjack affect the edge?
(13 June 2011)
- Does withdrawal without replacement change your expectation?
(6 June 2011)
- When do losses from edge overwhelm what you can earn from volatility?
(30 May 2011)
- Would bettors bust out if the house had no edge?
(23 May 2011)
- Straighten out your lucky tie before entering the casino
(16 May 2011)
- When phenomena coincide, it may not be coincidental
(9 May 2011)
- Will you ultimately win if you keep on gambling?
(2 May 2011)
- If 17 in blackjack isn't much better than 16, why treat them differently?
(25 April 2011)
- For the same money at risk, should you concentrate or spread out your bets?
(18 April 2011)
- Why are 12s Against 2- and 3-up at Blackjack so Perplexing?
(11 April 2011)
- How do Edge and Chance of Winning a Bet Differ?
(4 April 2011)
- Do people (you, for instance) gamble for the fun or the money?
(28 March 2011)
- Will winning a major lottery or giant jackpot ruin your life?
(21 March 2011)
- How do higher Odds multiples affect your chances at craps?
(14 March 2011)
- How long do you have to wait for a hit?
(7 March 2011)
- Would you pay $0.25 per round up-front to play $2 blackjack?
(28 February 2011)
- How would you set up place bets in a craps game with three five-sided dice?
(21 February 2011)
- There's more to play-or-fold and dealer qualification than meets the eye
(14 February 2011)
- How does the casino get its edge on the bets you make?
(7 February 2011)
- You can get lucky chasing losses, but the more you play, the less the chance
(31 January 2011)
- How long must you play to hit your blackjack win goal or loss limit?
(24 January 2011)
- If the casino has an edge, why is video poker so popular?
(17 January 2011)
- How does the casino get its edge on the bets you make?
(11 January 2011)
- Do you know when to quit a casino session?
(10 January 2011)
- Why you can't make informed choices among slot machines
(3 January 2011)
- Should blackjack players say "yes" to insurance when the gurus say "no"?
(27 December 2010)
- Can you win at video poker without hitting any biggies?
(20 December 2010)
- When 2 plus 2 don't equal 4, good data can yield bad conclusions
(13 December 2010)
- Betting "$32 across" in craps
(6 December 2010)
- Should you flout Basic Strategy in blackjack – and, if so, when and why?
(29 November 2010)
- How to design a slot machine
(22 November 2010)
- How do the gurus get video poker expert strategy and should you follow it?
(15 November 2010)
- Probability and order in gambling
(8 November 2010)
- What can falling apples and feathers teach you about casino gambling?
(1 November 2010)
- How good is your chance of a run of modest profits?
(25 October 2010)
- Why blackjacks are more significant than most bettors realize
(18 October 2010)
- Is the theory of streaks valid despite what the gurus say?
(11 October 2010)
- If the laws of probability can't guarantee you'll win, what good are they?
(4 October 2010)
- Casinos let you win more often than you lose. But there's a catch.
(27 September 2010)
- Are Don't Pass superior to Pass bets at craps, and by how much?
(20 September 2010)
- Are multi-line slot machines more than just extra boops and beeps?
(13 September 2010)
- Every gambler makes mistakes but why do many keep making them?
(6 September 2010)
- How vulnerable are blackjack dealers with fives- or sixes-up?
(30 August 2010)
- How much do Buys at craps improve, paying the vig only on wins?
(23 August 2010)
- Which numbers at craps are better to Buy than Place?
(16 August 2010)
- Everything you really want to know about splitting nines in blackjack
(9 August 2010)
- Which is preferable, big bets or small?
(2 August 2010)
- You can't judge a slot machine by its belly-glass
(26 July 2010)
- Should you "work" your craps bets on the come-out?
(19 July 2010)
- How does fighting or having an edge affect your chances?
(12 July 2010)
- Combination bets at roulette let you manipulate risk and reward
(5 July 2010)
- Can casinos earn more money than players put at risk?
(28 June 2010)
- Simultaneous opposing bets in craps: what price moderation?
(21 June 2010)
- Winning at blackjack: how much is luck and how much is skill?
(14 June 2010)
- How to get broader bankroll swings without paying more in edge
(7 June 2010)
- Can you evaluate the luck factor in gambling?
(31 May 2010)
- Are alternate place bets at craps as different as they seem?
(24 May 2010)
- Can you afford to get an edge at blackjack by counting cards?
(17 May 2010)
- What edge does and doesn't tell you about chances of winning
(10 May 2010)
- Who says players can't have an edge at the slots?
(3 May 2010)
- What's the source of the house advantage in blackjack?
(26 April 2010)
- How to make a million at the casino starting with a dollar
(19 April 2010)
- Playing the Field Has Merits, but not Necessarily at Craps
(12 April 2010)
- Why do so many players lose at the casino, and who gets the dough?
(5 April 2010)
- Side bets at table games: high edge, but surely tempting
(29 March 2010)
- Basic Strategy in blackjack sometimes differs little from next best
(22 March 2010)
- Why gamblers can win with systems that don't work
(15 March 2010)
- What good are bets on which you can lose more than you can win?
(8 March 2010)
- How long are "cycles" in craps, and what do they really mean?
(1 March 2010)
- Without the players' options, blackjack wouldn't be a serious gamble
(22 February 2010)
- Is a big win on longshots guaranteed if you make enough bets?
(15 February 2010)
- Do your gambling prospects improve if you bet more often?
(8 February 2010)
- Should you take insurance in blackjack without counting cards?
(1 February 2010)
- What kind of person is gambling one seat over from you?
(25 January 2010)
- Gullibility and the gambler
(18 January 2010)
- Does too much focus on edge ignore factors you can control?
(11 January 2010)
- Are you confused by Basic Strategy for Spanish 21?
(4 January 2010)
- Are taking and laying Odds at craps equivalent bets?
(28 December 2009)
- Do the tortoise and hare teach you how to win at gambling?
(21 December 2009)
- Are casino gamblers anxious about edge too smart by a half?
(14 December 2009)
- Can you make money converting the 12 at craps into a lay bet?
(7 December 2009)
- Why playing multiple spots at blackjack differs from playing one
(30 November 2009)
- Is jackpot size your criterion for choosing a video poker machine?
(23 November 2009)
- PLAYING IT SMART
(16 November 2009)
- How pretty are blackjack players sitting with totals of 20 or 21?
(9 November 2009)
- Is there benefit to loading a craps table in stages with Come bets?
(2 November 2009)
- You can make money at craps when the shooter sevens-out
(26 October 2009)
- How often can you expect a favorable hand at blackjack?
(19 October 2009)
- In casino math, does 60 minus 50 equal 10?
(12 October 2009)
- Why the casinos shouldn't want to wipe you out
(5 October 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Double-or-nothing bonus bets with no edge
(28 September 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Veering away from "the book"
(21 September 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Why you'll probably bite the dust if your gambling budget is $100
(14 September 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Which is preferable: High or low volatility?
(7 September 2009)
- Playing It Smart: The best bet at the craps table
(31 August 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Playing multiple spots at blackjack
(24 August 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Does the down economy herald a return of low-limit gambling?
(17 August 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Should you make progressive jackpot side bets on table games?
(10 August 2009)
- Playing It Smart: How flexible are the return schedules for various games?
(3 August 2009)
- Playing It Smart: How does jackpot size affect slot machine performance?
(27 July 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Is no-commission baccarat an impetus or an impediment?
(20 July 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Doubling down in blackjack: is it the edge or the volatility?
(13 July 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Why almost everyone questions at least some blackjack pair splits
(6 July 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Blackjack can have a low edge, but you have to know how to lower it
(29 June 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Passing up Basic Strategy splits at blackjack
(26 May 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Multi-line slots don't have to be complex
(19 May 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Taking it or laying it at the craps table
(5 May 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Explaining the house edge in double-zero roulette
(28 April 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Why craps players take odds, but few lay them
(23 April 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Can you gain an edge in blackjack by counting only aces?
(14 April 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Look beyond the payoffs before making side bets
(8 April 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Why try for a small jackpot, with a bigger prize down the aisle?
(18 March 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Is 'buyer beware' something to consider in casinos?
(10 March 2009)
- Playing It Smart: How to size up your bankroll
(26 February 2009)
- Playing It Smart: The superior bet at the craps table
(18 February 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Setting rational goals for your next playing session
(10 February 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Why a $5 bet at one game may not be like a $5 bet at another
(2 February 2009)
- Playing It Smart: Are hedges a sensible form of gambling insurance?
(17 December 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you believe 'the book' on how to play proper blackjack?
(9 December 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Casino cribbage
(5 December 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Is experience the best teacher in the casino?
(24 November 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How to get an (almost) free shot at a slot jackpot
(17 November 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Do casinos make money from players going broke?
(10 November 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Don't underestimate the impact of the come-out on pass bets
(3 November 2008)
- Playing It Smart: The elegant side of roulette
(28 October 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Saving a buck at the casino
(21 October 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Why most casino gamblers finish sessions below average
(14 October 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Don't let good fortune delude you
(6 October 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Why the most likely result of your gambling isn't what you expect
(12 August 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Does winning big in a casino prove you're a good gambler?
(5 August 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Are you paid by how often you win, or by how much?
(21 July 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How big of a bankroll do you need to play blackjack?
(14 July 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you learn more from the future than from the past?
(7 July 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How much money do you need to play roulette?
(23 June 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How much money do you need to play video poker?
(16 June 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How to make a mint in the casino on a small stake
(30 May 2008)
- Playing It Smart: When it comes to slots, what you see isn't what you get
(27 May 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Why you rarely get what you expect at craps
(19 May 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How much better are six decks than eight in blackjack?
(13 May 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you save more by betting more? Part 4: Blackjack
(5 May 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you save more by betting more? Part 3: Craps
(29 April 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you save more by betting more? - Part 2
(25 April 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can you save more by betting more?
(14 April 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Probability and payoff ratio are the tails that wag the casino dog
(1 April 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Does edge really make a difference for the average gambler?
(25 March 2008)
- Playing It Smart: How to get an edge at Pluto Craps
(11 March 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Hey! That looks easy. Let's try it!
(25 February 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Can gambling losses be considered business expenses or entertainment costs?
(19 February 2008)
- Playing It Smart: The premium paid for a blackjack means more than you think
(12 February 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Hedging your bets increases the house advantage at craps
(5 February 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Doubling down strategies explained
(22 January 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Table games and slots may be more unlike than you think
(18 January 2008)
- Playing It Smart: The maximum boldness theorem
(7 January 2008)
- Playing It Smart: Should you make Come bets if you can't afford the Odds?
(28 December 2007)
- Playing It Smart: Do all-slots casinos protect gamblers from themselves?
(17 December 2007)
- How much more bankroll do you need when you bet bigger?
(10 December 2007)
- Are parlays reasonable strategies to start small and finish big?
(3 December 2007)
- Playing It Smart: How many throws does it take to resolve a bet at craps?
(26 November 2007)
- Playing It Smart: Do 10s follow 10s in blackjack?
(19 November 2007)
- Playing it Smart - How do you figure what you earn in comps at Craps?
(12 November 2007)
- Playing it Smart - Some blackjack hands call for making the best of a bad situation
(5 November 2007)
- Playing it smart - stretch your stake with opposing craps bets together but in tandem
(29 October 2007)
- Playing it Smart: Why rational people may be irrational gamblers
(22 October 2007)
- Playing it Smart: Game speed can affect your gambling fortunes
(19 October 2007)
- Playing it Smart - It helps to know what you're doing
(8 October 2007)
- Playing it smart - Do you play craps by rote or do you understand the bets you make?
(1 October 2007)
- Playing it smart - When one plus one doesn't equal two at a casino
(24 September 2007)
- Playing smart - If you think doubling earns twice as much as hitting, think again
(17 September 2007)
- Playing it smart - Expected utility and the law of diminishing returns
(10 September 2007)
- Playing it smart - What "expected value" reveals about the quality of a gamble
(3 September 2007)
- The St Petersburg game: you have an advantage at Russian Roulette
(27 August 2007)
- Playing it smart - You can beat the casino
(20 August 2007)
- What you can learn from two finger Morra
(13 August 2007)
- Playing it smart - When will the next streak start?
(6 August 2007)
- Playing it smart - Why six decks are better than eight
(30 July 2007)
- Playing it smart - Buying the six or eight at craps
(23 July 2007)
- Playing it smart - Buying five or nine at craps
(16 July 2007)
- Playing it smart - Buying the four or ten at craps
(9 July 2007)
- How casinos choose payoffs: Ranked hands with elective probabilities
(2 July 2007)
- Playing it smart - How casinos choose payoffs
(18 June 2007)
- Playing is smart - How casinos choose payoffs
(11 June 2007)
- Playing it smart - Gamblers should repeal, or at least forget, the law of averages
(4 June 2007)
- Playing it smart - Gurus shun side bets; players make 'em - Who's right?
(28 May 2007)
- Playing it smart - Should you Buy, rather than Place, the four or 10 at craps?
(21 May 2007)
- Playing it smart - What every gambler should know about progressions
(14 May 2007)
- Playing it smart - There's more than one honest way to leave a casino in a limo
(7 May 2007)
- Playing it smart - How do you decide between keeping a sure thing and taking a shot?
(30 April 2007)
- Playing it smart -Splits at blackjack are advantage bets even if they don't yield an edge
(23 April 2007)
- Playing it smart - Avoiding risk on advantage bets without conceding all the gains
(16 April 2007)
- Playing it smart - A betting strategy can't bring you luck
(9 April 2007)
- Playing it smart -Should you take down craps bets on which you have an edge?
(2 April 2007)
- Single-deck 6-to-5 blackjack isn't always hazardous to your wealth
(26 March 2007)
- Take another look at Come bets in craps
(19 March 2007)
- What's good about multi-hand poker machines, and what's dangerous
(12 March 2007)
- Doubling in blackjack when basic strategy says "no"
(5 March 2007)
- Why the law of the maturity of chances seems to work but doesn't
(27 February 2007)
- Why fewer decks at Blackjack are better, and when they're not
(13 February 2007)
- Why strings of losses don't, yet do, better your chances
(30 January 2007)
- What Makes "Stiffs" So Dangerous in Blackjack?
(23 January 2007)
- Playing it smart - Bets that oppose one another
(16 January 2007)
- Can You Get an Edge at Craps by Controlling the Dice?
(2 January 2007)
- How much of Video Poker is Luck and how much Expertise?
(22 November 2006)
- You Needn't Overbet your Bankroll to Shave the Edge at Craps
(15 November 2006)
- Players who Dislike Lay Bets May Be Making them without Knowing it
(8 November 2006)
- Hit Rate and the Popularity of Multi-Line Slot Machines
(1 November 2006)
- How Well Can You Predict Dealers' Final Totals from their Upcards?
(25 October 2006)
- What's the Expected Value of your Dollar in the Casino?
(18 October 2006)
- You Can Buy Your Way to a Lower Edge, but Beware the Cost
(11 October 2006)
- The Bad, the Good, and the Beautiful at Blackjack
(4 October 2006)
- How Come You Can Win when Edge Says You'll Go Bust?
(27 September 2006)
- Why Few Casinos Have High Odds Multiples at Craps
(20 September 2006)
- Why and When You May Want to Sacrifice Edge to Bet Lower
(13 September 2006)
- Does Equal Edge Mean Equal Chance of Profit in Different Games?
(8 September 2006)
- Why Casinos May Earn Less from High than Low Rollers
(30 August 2006)
- Why Gamblers Score before the Law of Averages Says they Should
(23 August 2006)
- You Can Learn Some Subtleties of Blackjack from Two-Card 15s
(16 August 2006)
- Not All Craps Hedges Deserve the Bad Rap the Genre Gets
(9 August 2006)
- Being Easier to Win Doesn't Always Make a Bet more Advantageous
(2 August 2006)
- Slot Club Cashback May Be More than Just Icing on the Cake
(26 July 2006)
- Ask Your Cable or Satellite TV Provider for the Roulette Channel
(19 July 2006)
- Loyalty Cards: How Much Do You Want the Establishment to Know?
(12 July 2006)
- Is Blackjack Better When Dealers Must Stand on or Hit Soft 17?
(6 July 2006)
- How Trying for Less Can Earn You More
(28 June 2006)
- Does Taking Down Bets Mid-Roll at Craps Lower the House's Edge?
(21 June 2006)
- Why Gamblers Get Testy when they Lose
(14 June 2006)
- Good Gamblers Know their Beans about the Casinos
(7 June 2006)
- Does Pascal's Wager Have a Counterpart in Gambling
(30 May 2006)
- How Do the Casinos Make Money from Million Dollar Players?
(23 May 2006)
- Why High-Volatility Games Make Sense for some Low-Limit Bettors
(17 May 2006)
- How Volatility Improves Your Chance of Winning Big
(10 May 2006)
- How Bet Size Affects the Chance of Reaching your Win Goal
(3 May 2006)
- Why Do So Many Gamblers Lose Money at the Casinos?
(26 April 2006)
- Neuroeconomics: Is Gambling Entering a Brave New World?
(19 April 2006)
- Good Gambling Involves more than Going for Broke
(12 April 2006)
- How Bankroll, Bet Size, and Edge Affect your Staying Power
(4 April 2006)
- Is Doubling Down at Blackjack Worth the Extra Money at Risk?
(29 March 2006)
- How Craps Players Can Tame the Seven that Ends every Roll
(22 March 2006)
- Poker-Oriented Table Games: Here to Stay and More Are on the Way
(15 March 2006)
- Variations on Craps: Are they Fixes for What Ain't Broke?
(8 March 2006)
- Should You Be Watching for New Wrinkles in Roulette?
(1 March 2006)
- Drooling Dogs, Pecking Pigeons, and Sanguine Slot Zealots
(22 February 2006)
- New Blackjack Features May (or May not) Be in Your Future
(15 February 2006)
- Craps Players Can Tailor Sessions without Changing Expectations
(8 February 2006)
- Dealers' Prospects Mean More in Blackjack than You May Think
(1 February 2006)
- How Do Video Poker Paradigms Differ from One Another?
(25 January 2006)
- How Skewness in Gambling Affects Your Session Hopes and Fears
(18 January 2006)
- How Does Edge Affect Expected Bankroll Highs and Lows
(11 January 2006)
- Equal Edge Doesn't Make Games Equivalent
(4 January 2006)
- Right May Be Good, but Who's To Say Wrong Is Bad?
(28 December 2005)
- The Ups and Downs of Progressive Betting.
(21 December 2005)
- Hedges in Roulette Are Exceptions that Challenge the Rule.
(14 December 2005)
- Are Hedges in Craps as Bad as the Experts Say, or Can They Work?
(7 December 2005)
- Twelve versus Two-up in Blackjack: More is Sometimes Less.
(30 November 2005)
- Alternate Bets with Equal Edge May Perform Differently.
(23 November 2005)
- Why Your Gambling Goals May Defy What the Math Says To Expect.
(16 November 2005)
- The Chance of a Truly Average Game Is Less than You May Think.
(9 November 2005)
- Gambling Is More about Trade-offs than Right of Wrong Choices.
(2 November 2005)
- New Casino Games May Be Appealing, But Don't Expect a Low Edge.
(26 October 2005)
- Jackpot Size Doesn't Reveal Much about a Slot Machine.
(19 October 2005)
- You Think You Know Craps? How about the Esoterra Version?
(12 October 2005)
- Triple-Zero Roulette: More Ways to Win?
(5 October 2005)
- How Many Gamblers Can You Fool, How Much of the Time?
(28 September 2005)
- In Blackjack Card Counting, You May Prefer Neatness to Accuracy
(21 September 2005)
- Adjust Your Bankroll Needs and Hopes with Your Betting Strategy
(14 September 2005)
- If You Think One Bet is as Good as Another, Think Again
(7 September 2005)
- How Long Do You Have to Wait for a Decision at Craps?
(31 August 2005)
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Jackpot?
(24 August 2005)
- Can You Win in the Casino without Doing Your Homework First?
(17 August 2005)
- How Many Sevens Should You Expect in Six Throws of the Dice?
(10 August 2005)
- Who's to Blame when You Draw Bad Cards at Blackjack?
(3 August 2005)
- Why Craps Players Can't Have their Cake and Eat It, too
(27 July 2005)
- Three Roulette Myths I Wish Were True, 'Cause I'd be Rich
(20 July 2005)
- Gambling for Groceries: Is It an Idea whose Time Has Come?
(13 July 2005)
- How Pushes Affect House Advantage in Casino Games
(6 July 2005)
- How Should You Play the New Multi-Line Multi-Coin Slots?
(29 June 2005)
- So Much for Assuming that the Unseen Card is a 10
(15 June 2005)
- Why Casinos Like the Long Run, and Players the Short
(8 June 2005)
- How Does Varying Your Bet Affect Your Chances of Survival?
(1 June 2005)
- How Likely Are the Best Craps Players' Worst Dreams to Come True?
(25 May 2005)
- Would Having an Edge Let You Gamble for a Living?
(18 May 2005)
- What Makes You Like One Slot Machine Better than Another?
(11 May 2005)
- How Do You Decide What to Bring to the Casino?
(4 May 2005)
- Gambling: Is It Still a Guy's Game?
(27 April 2005)
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Longshots versus Parlays?
(20 April 2005)
- Count the Ways of Craps, and You'll Understand the Whys
(13 April 2005)
- When Should You Ignore the Maximum Coin Rule at the Slots?
(6 April 2005)
- How to Use the Volatility Choices Offered by the New Slot Machines
(30 March 2005)
- What If You Hit Rather than Doubled on Your 11s in Blackjack?
(23 March 2005)
- Can Gamblers Get Momentum?
(16 March 2005)
- If Anything Can Happen in a Single Session, Why Sweat the Details?
(9 March 2005)
- Omission, Commission, and Soft Doubles at Blackjack
(1 March 2005)
- Playing Roulette so that One Winning Bet Gets You Back
(22 February 2005)
- You Can Trust Your Intuition at Video Poker, but Just So far
(15 February 2005)
- Insurance Is a Poor Bet at Blackjack, but not Uniformly So
(8 February 2005)
- Should You Bother to Learn the Optimum Strategy for Video Poker?
(1 February 2005)
- How Often Do Craps Bets Win and Lose During a Session?
(25 January 2005)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Pai Gow Poker
(18 January 2005)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Three-Card Poker
(11 January 2005)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Let It Ride
(4 January 2005)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Caribbean Stud
(28 December 2004)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Blackjack
(21 December 2004)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Craps
(13 December 2004)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Roulette
(6 December 2004)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Try Baccarat
(29 November 2004)
- Fun and (Table) Games: Are They for You?
(22 November 2004)
- Does Thinking You Can Win Help You Win?
(15 November 2004)
- Betting $32 Across at Craps: more Action, less Distraction
(8 November 2004)
- You Can Prove Whatever You Want about Streaks and Trends
(1 November 2004)
- How Much Bankroll Do You Need to Play the Machines?
(25 October 2004)
- Do Video Poker Full House and Flush Payoffs Really Matter?
(18 October 2004)
- Should You Play One Hand or Two at Blackjack?
(11 October 2004)
- Even-Money Equivalents Show the Effect of Odds Multiples at Craps
(4 October 2004)
- Rethink Your Exit Strategy before Blaming Losses all on the Edge
(27 September 2004)
- How Spreading Out Bets Affects Gamblers' Prospects
(20 September 2004)
- There Are Times to Split 10s at Blackjack, but They're Rare
(13 September 2004)
- Put Craps Bets onto a Common Ground before Comparing Them
(6 September 2004)
- Why Skew May Be More Important to Casino Gamblers than Edge
(30 August 2004)
- Would You Play the Slots if You Could See How They Worked?
(23 August 2004)
- You'll See More Aces Playing Blackjack with Fewer Decks
(16 August 2004)
- Hey, Buddy! Wanna Buy Some Match Play Tokens? Cheap?
(9 August 2004)
- Does It Help or Hurt when Blackjack Dealers Hit Soft 17s?
(2 August 2004)
- What If You Could Buy Gaming Chips at a Discount?
(26 July 2004)
- What Do You Want from the Casino Experience, and at what Price?
(19 July 2004)
- Is There a Way to Evaluate Luckiness in the Casino?
(12 July 2004)
- How Vig Collected only on Wins Enhances Buy Bets
(5 July 2004)
- Are There Conditions Under Which Insurance Is a Good Bet?
(28 June 2004)
- Does Scouting Video Poker Machine Payouts Make Sense?
(21 June 2004)
- Match Play Can Give You an Edge, Even in Extended Sessions
(14 June 2004)
- When Higher Edge Is a Small Price to Pay for Lower Limits
(7 June 2004)
- The Casinos Don't Offer New Games To Give Patrons a Break
(31 May 2004)
- At Blackjack, Splitting Pairs Is Rarely Splitting Hairs
(24 May 2004)
- A Roulette Strategy That Wins Three Times More Often Than It Loses
(17 May 2004)
- How Edge at Blackjack Is Trimmed to the Bone
(10 May 2004)
- Would Craps be Craps with Eight-Faced Dice?
(3 May 2004)
- Why Players Seem to Do Worse at Games that Should be Better
(26 April 2004)
- Don't Base Your Bets on Averages Alone
(19 April 2004)
- If Pavlov Played the Slots, He wouldn't Have Needed a Dog
(12 April 2004)
- Why Probability Doesn't Tell You What'll Probably Happen Next
(5 April 2004)
- Would You Bet the Props at Craps if the Payoffs Were Higher?
(29 March 2004)
- Why You Should Do What with 11 against 10 or Ace in Blackjack
(22 March 2004)
- Prize the Power of the Push at Blackjack
(16 March 2004)
- Try Hedging Craps Bets Sequentially rather than Concurrently
(9 March 2004)
- Why We Don't Go to the Erewhon Any More, Just So's You Know
(2 March 2004)
- New Slot Machines: Innovative or More of the Same?
(24 February 2004)
- How Much Money Should You Bring to Play the Game?
(17 February 2004)
- Why Many Seasoned Players Insure their Blackjacks
(10 February 2004)
- What Shift in Instances of Sevens Gets You the Edge at Craps?
(3 February 2004)
- Proportional Betting Can Limit Losses while Enhancing Gains
(27 January 2004)
- Why "Doubling for Less" Isn't Always as Dumb as They Say
(20 January 2004)
- Can You Size Your Bets for Maximum Happiness?
(13 January 2004)
- Happiness and the Art of Sizing Bets
(6 January 2004)
- How to Extend Your Playing Time
(30 December 2003)
- Think out Your Attitudes toward Uncertainty and Risk in Advance.
(23 December 2003)
- How To Estimate the Chance You'll Fall Behind, and Stay There
(16 December 2003)
- Why They Should Offer Surrender at Blackjack, but Usually Don't
(9 December 2003)
- What Are Your Chances of Winning $100?
(2 December 2003)
- Even-Money Equivalents Help Anticipate Swings in New Situations
(25 November 2003)
- How Smaller Bets with Bigger Edges Shape Session Outcomes
(18 November 2003)
- Hit or Stand: The Hard 16 Dilemma in Blackjack
(11 November 2003)
- Everything You Should Know about Baccarat, and More
(4 November 2003)
- How To Measure Chance: Odds, Fractions, and Percentages
(28 October 2003)
- Give Those "Lay" Bets a Second Thought
(21 October 2003)
- What Would You Give Up to Get a $5 Game?
(14 October 2003)
- Understanding the Ups and Downs of Baccarat
(7 October 2003)
- Money Is Money. Or, Is It?
(23 September 2003)
- Do Casino Dealers Shuffle Enough to Randomize the Cards?
(16 September 2003)
- Jackpots Are Tougher to Get on Machines that Let You Play Longer
(9 September 2003)
- Does Violating Basic Strategy Cause Global Warming?
(2 September 2003)
- What Can Gamblers Learn from Superstitious Pigeons?
(26 August 2003)
- Hope and Science in Dollar Stores, Used Car Lots, and Casinos
(19 August 2003)
- How Odds of Winning Rounds Affect Session Prospects
(12 August 2003)
- Don't Downplay the Importance of the Come-Out Roll in Craps
(5 August 2003)
- How Bad Are Common Departures from the Blackjack Gospel?
(29 July 2003)
- Why Players Love Bets that Earn Big Bucks for the Bosses
(22 July 2003)
- Who Pays to Pump the Purse on Progressive Jackpot Slots?
(15 July 2003)
- Why It's Easy to Believe Rare Events Happen All the Time
(8 July 2003)
- How Realistic Are Your Casino Profit Goals?
(1 July 2003)
- Which Blackjack Hands Put You in the Catbird Seat?
(23 June 2003)
- Side Action Usually Means Sucker Bets, Unless You Win
(17 June 2003)
- Gamblers Can Be Right by Being Wrong (and Conversely)
(10 June 2003)
- Who Cares If Numbers Have to Roll Twice to Pay on Come Bets?
(3 June 2003)
- Why "the Book" Says What It Does for Aces, Eights, and 11s vs Aces
(27 May 2003)
- Multi-Hand Video Poker: Jackpot or Jack-in-the-Box?
(20 May 2003)
- How to Maximize Your Edge when You Act as Banker
(13 May 2003)
- We have seen the future of gambling, and it's TACKIE.
(6 May 2003)
- Should You Stay with the Standbys or Try the New Table Games?
(29 April 2003)
- Why Can't You Find any $2 or $5 Table Games?
(22 April 2003)
- Judicious Standing Below 17 is the Blackjack Player's Best Weapon
(15 April 2003)
- When Do Put Bets at Craps Beat Their Place and Buy Counterparts?
(8 April 2003)
- How Do the Experts Know the Best Way to Play Video Poker?
(1 April 2003)
- Figuring the Edge on A Parlay: How Do You Want to Look at It?
(25 March 2003)
- Why Blackjack Buffs Rightly Respect those Terrible Twos
(18 March 2003)
- When Low Payoffs for Bets that Overcome High Odds Aren't Bad
(11 March 2003)
- Distinctions between Right and Wrong in Blackjack Are Often Slender
(4 March 2003)
- Expected Values Help You Juggle Payoffs and Probabilities
(25 February 2003)
- What Language Does your Body Speak in the Casino?
(18 February 2003)
- Would You Rather Get Rebates on Your Action or Your Losses?
(11 February 2003)
- The Enduring Effect of Match Play Coupons on House Edge
(4 February 2003)
- How Much Extra Edge Are You Giving the House in Blackjack?
(28 January 2003)
- If You Can Handle the Exposure, Give Lay Bets at Craps a Look-See
(21 January 2003)
- Are You Overestimating Your Chances of a Hit?
(14 January 2003)
- Gambling Theories, History, and Other Lies
(7 January 2003)
- What Casinos Can't Predict about Jackpots, and What They Can
(2 January 2003)
- What Casinos Can't Predict about Jackpots, and What They Can
(31 December 2002)
- Are Controlled Throws at Craps Fact or Fiction?
(24 December 2002)
- Have Fun with a Simple Betting Strategy Based on Longshots
(17 December 2002)
- How Often Can You Expect Doubles to Help You in Blackjack?
(10 December 2002)
- Volatility is a Powerful Tool, but It Cuts Both Ways
(4 December 2002)
- How Often Should You Get What You Expect?
(26 November 2002)
- Caribbean Stud Players Pay the Price when Dealers Don't Qualify
(20 November 2002)
- How Easy Is It to Win What at Three-Card Poker?
(13 November 2002)
- Can a Leopard Change Its Spots? Should a Blackjack Player?
(6 November 2002)
- You Can Join in the Excitement at Craps with these Simple Bets
(30 October 2002)
- Why Intuition Gained in one Game Might not Apply in Another
(22 October 2002)
- Why the Next Gambling Book You'll Buy Will Probably Be Bunk
(16 October 2002)
- Why Splitting Eights against a 10 in Blackjack is so Perplexing
(10 October 2002)
- Doubling at Blackjack: The Pros and Cons of too Little or too Much
(3 October 2002)
- A New Strategy for Craps Fans: What the Computer Says
(25 September 2002)
- How Much Must You Beat the Odds to Overcome the Edge?
(19 September 2002)
- Even Fighting Edge, You Can Get Close to the Ideal... At a Price
(11 September 2002)
- Here's a Simple Rule to Estimate your Chances of Success
(1 September 2002)
- How other Players at a Blackjack Table Affect Your Game
(27 August 2002)
- Ability to Anticipate Bankroll Swings Is a Vital Gambling Skill
(20 August 2002)
- Multi-line Machines Add a Meaningful Choice to Slot Play
(13 August 2002)
- Why It's Worthwhile to Check Video Poker Payout Schedules
(6 August 2002)
- How Often Should You Expect a Blackjack Dealer to Bust?
(30 July 2002)
- House Edge Matters, but Your Betting Strategy Matters More
(24 July 2002)
- Here are the Dollars and Cents of Betting on Don't Come at Craps
(16 July 2002)
- Don't Come Bets at Craps Offer Lots of Action with Low Exposure
(8 July 2002)
- Should You Quit when You're Ahead, or Try for More?
(3 July 2002)
- Take this Quiz to Better Understand What Draws You to the Casinos
(24 June 2002)
- Don't Choose the Balance between Chance and Payoff Blindly
(18 June 2002)
- Intuition in Gambling Can Help, but also Trip You up
(11 June 2002)
- An Alternative to Place Betting at Craps that Cuts Edge and Exposure
(5 June 2002)
- Here's How to Handle Pairs of Fours at Blackjack. And Why.
(27 May 2002)
- Have You Learned What Casinos Teach about the Quick Fix?
(23 May 2002)
- Does Regis Philbin Have the Monte Hall Problem?
(14 May 2002)
- Recovering from a Bad Start Depends on You and the Game
(9 May 2002)
- What Happens to Chance when a Game Isn't Random?
(30 April 2002)
- Although Anything Can Happen, Something Else Usually Does
(23 April 2002)
- Pick a Number, any Number (Well, almost any)
(17 April 2002)
- Which Blackjack Hands Are Strong, and Which Weak?
(10 April 2002)
- What Dealer Upcard Is Best for Blackjack Players?
(3 April 2002)
- Law, Luck, and the Leningrad Elephant
(26 March 2002)
- The Daunting Diversity of Craps May Be Its Greatest Asset
(18 March 2002)
- Don't Make Gambling More Complex, or Simple, than It Has to Be
(15 March 2002)
- The New Nickel Slots Give You Some Strategic Options
(6 March 2002)
- Before Taking Advice, Consider What's in it for the Advisor
(26 February 2002)
- Here's a Simple Worksheet to Estimate Bankroll Needs
(19 February 2002)
- Whether Betting Progressions Work Depends on how "Work" Works
(13 February 2002)
- After You Quit, You Can't Tell How You Would Have Done
(5 February 2002)
- Playing Multiple Spots Reduces Blackjack Bankroll Fluctuations
(28 January 2002)
- Know What You Can and Can't Control in the Casino
(23 January 2002)
- Witless Winners May Need Advice but Prefer Applause
(16 January 2002)
- The Percentages Underlying the Games Are Fact, not Opinion
(12 January 2002)
- The Long and Short of All-or-Nothing Gambles
(2 January 2002)
- How Long Must You Play Before You Can Expect to Win?
(25 December 2001)
- By the Time Progressives Hit, They're Usually Bought and Paid for
(16 December 2001)
- You Can't Rely on Averages when You're Dealing with Small Chances
(9 December 2001)
- How Many Cases Must You Count to Detect Bias or Preference?
(6 December 2001)
- A Million-to-One Odds and that One Player in a Million
(26 November 2001)
- Blackjack Decisions Aren't Always as Clean Cut as You've Been Told
(20 November 2001)
- How to Use Expected Value to Weigh Craps Options
(12 November 2001)
- Don't Make the Mistake of Actually Expecting the Expected
(6 November 2001)
- Is Cleverness at Craps Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
(29 October 2001)
- Should You Bet More on One Spot or Less on Two?
(21 October 2001)
- Why Blackjack Players Who Know What They Know Split Their 10s
(17 October 2001)
- Are You Ready for the Next Step in Casino Cuisine?
(8 October 2001)
- It's Time to Go Beyond Edge in Characterizing Bets
(4 October 2001)
- What Do You Do when Chance Says "No" but Expectation Says "Yes"
(25 September 2001)
- Should You Split your Bankroll into Separate Session Stakes?
(17 September 2001)
- Is Volatility the Secret of Winning Big?
(12 September 2001)
- Should You Just Hit 11 vs Ace, or Go for the Double?
(4 September 2001)
- Gambling Is a Sometimes Thing, and Therein Lies the Rub
(27 August 2001)
- If Slots Return 93 Percent, Why Does Everyone Lose Everything?
(20 August 2001)
- There's More to Winning More than Betting More
(15 August 2001)
- Setting the Dice is One Thing; Achieving Results Is Another
(6 August 2001)
- Why Different Flavors of Pai Gow Taste the Same
(31 July 2001)
- Is The Blackjack 'Book' Right about Soft 17?
(23 July 2001)
- Craps Is the Most Philosophical Game
(17 July 2001)
- Volatility: It'll Make or Break Your Day
(10 July 2001)
- How Hopeful Are Four-Card Straights and Flushes at Video Poker?
(4 July 2001)
- Splitting Eights at Blackjack: When Better Is Still Bad
(26 June 2001)
- Why Good Players Make Bets Many Experts Say Are Bad
(19 June 2001)
- In Casinos, Things Seem True You Know Are False
(10 June 2001)
- Pai Gow Poker: Banking Counteracts Commissions with Copies
(5 June 2001)
- What You Can Learn in a Casino: #27, Getting Respect and Affection
(28 May 2001)
- Does Your Favorite Casino Offer You the Lowest Edge in Town?
(19 May 2001)
- How The Speed of a Game Affects Your Session Prospects
(14 May 2001)
- Fewer Decks at Blackjack Offer Players More
(8 May 2001)
- The Best Bet at Craps is Usually Honored in the Breach
(30 April 2001)
- Why Do Slot Players Win Big, When Table Games Have Lower Edge?
(26 April 2001)
- Internet Casinos and the Invasion of the Androids
(16 April 2001)
- The Experts Hedge on Wall Street, Why not at the Casino?
(10 April 2001)
- Why Being Too Clever by a Half Doubles the Casino's Edge
(3 April 2001)
- This Elegant Roulette Bet Has Good Prospects for Fun and Profit
(25 March 2001)
- Do all the Good Hands You Remember Mean You Almost Won?
(21 March 2001)
- Why 10+2 Doesn't Equal 9+3 at the Blackjack Tables
(15 March 2001)
- Do You Sweat the Odds in Shooting for Big Jackpots?
(7 March 2001)
- Estimating How Often You Should Win Is Different than Doing It.
(28 February 2001)
- How Long Must You Play before the Edge Costs You One Bet?
(21 February 2001)
- Quitting with a Profit Is the Toughest Gambling Decision of Al
(14 February 2001)
- Do You Prefer Table Games with Jackpot Options?
(8 February 2001)
- Is Card Counting at Blackjack Worth Your While?
(31 January 2001)
- How Casinos Measure House Advantage, and What the Values Mean
(24 January 2001)
- How Do You Evaluate Chance in Gambling
(19 January 2001)
- Should You Bet Higher If It Cuts the Casino's Edge?
(10 January 2001)
- Widen or Narrow Your Bankroll Swings with Your Betting Strategy
(3 January 2001)
- Slot Machine Hit Rate: Another Path to Gambling Self-Delusion
(22 October 2000)
- Blackjack: Three Subtle Questions
(16 October 2000)
- Baccarat: Three Frequently Asked Questions
(9 October 2000)
- Roulette: Three Frequently Asked Questions
(2 October 2000)
- Is It Worth What It Costs to Hedge Your Bets?
(2 October 2000)
- What If You Can't Afford to Double or Split at Blackjack?
(2 October 2000)
- How Long Must You Play before the Law of Averages Takes Effect?
(2 October 2000)
- Should You Divide Your Bankroll into Session Stakes?
(2 October 2000)
- Something's Gotta Fall when Slot Machine Hit Rate Rises
(2 October 2000)
- Even with an Edge, Don't Gamble if You Can't Cover Your Losses
(2 October 2000)
- Proposition Bets at Craps Are Appealing Despite the High Edge
(2 October 2000)
- How Hard Is It to Get Rich the Easy Way?
(2 October 2000)
- How Do You Know What's True about Gambling?
(2 October 2000)
- Opinion and Fact in Gambling: Room for Both, but Keep 'Em Separate
(2 October 2000)
- Multiple Place Bets at Craps Are Lay Bets in Disguise
(2 October 2000)
- How Betting Progressions Affect Bankroll Swings
(2 October 2000)
- Gambling Answers Only Help if You're Prepared to Use Them
(2 October 2000)
- How Often Can You Expect to Win
(5 September 2000)
- Staying in the Game Helps Get that Shot at a Hot Streak
(29 August 2000)
- What if They Let you Choose Your Own Slot Jackpot?
(29 August 2000)
- Gambling Involves More, and Less, than Meets the Eye
(22 August 2000)
- In the Casino, Seeing Shouldn't Always Be Believing
(22 August 2000)
- Bankroll Helps at High-Jackpot Slots…But Doesn't Help Much
(18 August 2000)
- Should You Sacrifice Long-Term Edge for Short-Term Prospects?
(15 August 2000)
- Look at Strategic Trade-Offs Before You Leap into a Game
(11 August 2000)
- What You Really Need to Know: A New Formula for Video Poker
(3 August 2000)
- How Progressive Betting Affects Your Chance of Staying in the Game
(26 July 2000)
- You Can Control Your Chances, But You Can't Have it Both Ways
(21 June 2000)
- Considering a Progressive System? Weigh Chance, Not Just Amount
(15 June 2000)
- The Ins and Outs of Betting Both Sides
(10 June 2000)
- If Dealers Don't Qualify, Caribbean Stud Hands are Dud Hands
(1 June 2000)
- If the Slots are Random, What Makes the Paybacks Work Out?
(27 May 2000)
- Should You Play Multiple Spots at Blackjack?
(19 May 2000)
- For the Same Totals, Odds at Craps Beat Flat Bets
(12 May 2000)
- Betting Progressions Increase Your Bankroll Swings
(5 May 2000)
- Confusion, Illusion, and the Art of Slot Machine Design
(27 April 2000)
- Not All Gambling is One Spin at Russian Roulette
(21 April 2000)
- Should You Lay Odds When Betting "Don't Pass" at Craps?
(14 April 2000)
- How Confident Are You of Winning at Blackjack with a 20?
(7 April 2000)
- You Can Use Betting Strategies to Shape Your Playing Sessions
(29 March 2000)
- Set Your Goals before You Hit the Casino Floor
(21 March 2000)
- Proficiency Helps Players Handle Victory as well as Defeat
(17 March 2000)
- The Best Bet Size Is Somewhere between a Rock and a Hard Place
(9 March 2000)
- You Can Win 80 Percent of the Time... And Still Lose
(2 March 2000)
- Manage Chance to Cut Your Reliance on Luck
(21 February 2000)
- How Bad Is It to Stand on 16 when the Book Says to Hit?
(14 February 2000)
- Make Believe It's Real Money
(8 February 2000)
- Trying to Recoup Past Losses Can Cloud Your Judgement
(3 February 2000)
- Fighting the Casino on Two Fronts, Odds and Edge
(26 January 2000)
- What Can You Lose by Going for the Gold with Their Money?
(19 January 2000)
- How Betting Progressions Affect Likely Bankroll Swings
(12 January 2000)
- Risk and Reward: You Can't Have It Both Ways
(4 January 2000)
- Should You Lay Odds on "Don't" Bets at Craps?
(27 December 1999)
- Is It Worth Learning to Play Caribbean Stud Like an Expert?
(20 December 1999)
- Will Casinos Weather the Y2K Problem?
(13 December 1999)
- Should You Play Multiple Spots at Blackjack?
(6 December 1999)
- How Betting Strategies Let You Balance Your Prospects
(29 November 1999)
- Long Video Poker Play Raises the Chance You'll Hit, Not That You'll Win
(22 November 1999)
- Can You Beat Blackjack by Betting on Streaks?
(15 November 1999)
- Short Rolls in Craps: Probability or Conspiracy?
(8 November 1999)
- How to Win an Unbeatable Game
(1 November 1999)
- Nobody Wants to Believe in Chance
(25 October 1999)
- How Often Do Blackjacks Occur?
(18 October 1999)
- Casinos Do Patrons a Disservice by Tolerating Bad Behavior
(11 October 1999)
- In Case You're Wondering, Dealers at Casinos Accept Tips
(4 October 1999)
- Level the Playing Field to Compare Craps Bets
(27 September 1999)
- Learn How Slots Work with a Do-It- Yourself Machine
(20 September 1999)
- How Often Do Blackjack Dealers Make Good Hands?
(13 September 1999)
- Who Pays for the Video Poker Bonuses?
(6 September 1999)
- How Much Should You Allocate for Place Bets at Craps?
(30 August 1999)
- How Should You Size Your Bets for Carribean Stud?
(23 August 1999)
- How Should You Size Your Pass Line Bets at Craps?
(16 August 1999)
- How Should You Size Your Bets for Let It Ride?
(9 August 1999)
- How Much Should You Bet at Baccarat?
(2 August 1999)
- How Much Should You Bet at Roulette?
(26 July 1999)
- How Much Should You Bet at Blackjack?
(19 July 1999)
- How Much Should You Bet on Each Round at the Slots?
(12 July 1999)
- How Many Numbers Should You Cover at Craps?
(5 July 1999)
- Don't Price Yourself out of Doubles in Blackjack
(28 June 1999)
- Why It Helps to Know There's Math behind the Games
(21 June 1999)
- The Hows and Whys of First-Level Bets at Let It Ride
(14 June 1999)
- Is There Life without Jackpots for Slot Players?
(7 June 1999)
- What's Wrong with Odds-Only Hedges in Craps?
(31 May 1999)
- How Much Does Sacrificing Edge in Blackjack Really Matter?
(24 May 1999)
- Picture the Impact of Your Bets Using 50-50 Equivalents
(17 May 1999)
- Use Even-Money Equivalents to Compare Bets
(10 May 1999)
- How Important Is Edge Relative to Luck?
(3 May 1999)
- Slot Buffs, Get Ready for the Next Millennium
(26 April 1999)
- Why Betting Progressions Work When Experts Say They Can't
(19 April 1999)
- Are There Limits to Profits at the Slots?
(12 April 1999)
- Holding Back Won't Make the Best of Blackjack Underdogs
(5 April 1999)
- The More You Try to Make, The Less Your Chance of Success
(29 March 1999)
- Why Few Players Want Equitable Poker Payoffs
(22 March 1999)
- To Some Craps Players, the Value of Hedges Is Worth their Price
(15 March 1999)
- How Often Can You Expect to Split or Double in Blackjack
(8 March 1999)
- When You Set Your Goals, You Define Your Risks
(1 March 1999)
- Not by Edge Alone: Ranking Bets by Risk of Ruin
(22 February 1999)
- Can You Spin Your Way to a Giant Slot Jackpot?
(15 February 1999)
- You Can Improve Your Chances without Reducing the Edge
(8 February 1999)
- A Blackjack Bonus May Be No Bonanza
(1 February 1999)
- How Many Boxes Should You Cover with Place Bets at Craps?
(25 January 1999)
- How Betting Systems Affect Your Session Chances
(18 January 1999)
- Use the Payout Tables when Choosing Slot Machines
(11 January 1999)
- What Do Deviations from Basic Strategy in Blackjack Cost?
(4 January 1999)
- How Taking Odds Affects Your Chances at Craps
(28 December 1998)
- When the Pit Bosses Respect You, Watch Out!
(21 December 1998)
- How to Avoid Common Slot Machine Mistakes
(14 December 1998)
- Was It Wrong to Buck the Odds If You Won?
(7 December 1998)
- You Can Win More Often… By Shooting for Less Profit
(30 November 1998)
- What Will You Pay to Buy a Sure Thing?
(23 November 1998)
- What Is Resplitting in Blackjack Worth to You?
(16 November 1998)
- Do Rewards Always Balance Risks in the Casino?
(9 November 1998)
- Perseverance in Gambling Pays…to a Degree
(2 November 1998)
- How Does Spreading Bets Affect Your Gaming Results?
(26 October 1998)
- Which Are the Weakest Dealer Upcards in Blackjack?
(19 October 1998)
- Are You Ready for a Robotic Card Dealer?
(12 October 1998)
- Betting Both Sides: Who's Outfoxing Whom?
(5 October 1998)
- Why Hitting 12 vs Two Beats Standing in Blackjack
(28 September 1998)
- Are Streaks the Secret of Gambling Success?
(21 September 1998)
- Planning Is the Next Best Thing to Time Travel
(14 September 1998)
- When Are You Closest to Winning Half the Time?
(7 September 1998)
- An Exception to the 16 vs 10 Rule in Blackjack
(31 August 1998)
- When Is It Best to Dump a Starting Hand in Video Poker?
(24 August 1998)
- Should You Try the One-Roll Bets at Craps?
(17 August 1998)
- Why You Split 9s but not 10s in Blackjack
(10 August 1998)
- Variable Payoffs Add a Twist to Table Play
(3 August 1998)
- Does Playing Several Slots at Once Make Any Sense?
(27 July 1998)
- Personal Gambling Goals Define Right and Wrong Play
(20 July 1998)
- Soft 18 versus Nine through Ace: Make the Best of a Bad Lot
(13 July 1998)
- Multiple-Bet Games Have No Loopholes
(6 July 1998)
- New Versions of Video Poker May Be Trickier Than They Look
(29 June 1998)
- Ace Is the Most Dangerous Up-Card, Blackjack or Not
(25 June 1998)
- How to Avoid Second Guess Syndrome at the Casinos
(15 June 1998)
- How to Judge a Casino Tournament
(8 June 1998)
- How to Play Soft 17 when You Can't Double Down
(1 June 1998)
- Scientific Gobbledygook Won't Help You Win
(25 May 1998)
- Betting Systems: Verity or Voodoo?
(18 May 1998)
- Allocating Money on Don't Pass: Flat Bets or Odds?
(11 May 1998)
- What Secrets Do Slot Teams Know?
(4 May 1998)
- Never-Bust Blackjack Strategies Can Cost You Money
(27 April 1998)
- Making Line Bets with Odds after the Come-out Roll
(20 April 1998)
- You Won't Get Rich by Confusing Chance and Skill
(13 April 1998)
- State Regulations Put the Lie to Slot Machine Myths
(6 April 1998)
- Why Casinos Dare Offer 100X Odds at Craps
(30 March 1998)
- Why Luck Goes beyond the Law of Averages
(23 March 1998)
- How Money Management Helps You Achieve Balance
(16 March 1998)
- You May Have an Edge in Blackjack after the Deal
(9 March 1998)
- How to Lengthen Your Stay at the Tables
(2 March 1998)
- What Does Multiple-Coin Slot Play Really Buy You?
(23 February 1998)
- Can You Parlay a Casino to its Knees?
(16 February 1998)
- Can Bias in Roulette Wheels Give You an Edge?
(9 February 1998)
- When and Why to Split Pairs in Blackjack
(2 February 1998)
- How Doubling in Blackjack Wins More by Winning Less
(26 January 1998)
- When Do You Break a 'Made Hand' in Video Poker?
(19 January 1998)
- Seven Ways to Let Everyone Know You're a Loser
(12 January 1998)
- How Important Are Doubles on Soft Blackjack Hands?
(5 January 1998)
- Laying the Numbers: Conservative Craps for Bold Bettors
(29 December 1997)
- Should You Worry about Being Cheated by a Casino?
(22 December 1997)
- How Bet Size Affects Profit and Loss Potential
(15 December 1997)
- Choosing Slot Machines When You Don't Know Your Chances
(8 December 1997)
- How Different are Blackjack Totals of 16 and 17?
(1 December 1997)
- Are You Certified to Play this Slot Machine?
(24 November 1997)
- Should Casinos Publicize the Odds on their Games?
(17 November 1997)
- What if They Put Computers in Dice?
(10 November 1997)
- Don't Be a Good Player but a Bad Gambler
(3 November 1997)
- When Insurance Gives Blackjack Players an Edge
(27 October 1997)
- How Bankroll Size Affects Your Chances
(25 October 1997)
- Is It Cheating If They Let You Do It?
(20 October 1997)
- Protecting Craps Bets: Expensive, But Sometimes You Get Lucky
(13 October 1997)
- Why and When to Surrender in Blackjack
(6 October 1997)
- What Slot Machine Payout Schedules Mean to You
(29 September 1997)
- The Quality of a Bet Depends on Your Viewpoint
(22 September 1997)
- Gambling Mistakes Come in All Shapes, Sizes, and Aftermaths
(15 September 1997)
- Splitting Eights against a 10: The Whole Story
(8 September 1997)
- Overbetting Your Bankroll Hurts Your Chances at the Slots
(1 September 1997)
- Getting the Odds to Work for You at Blackjack
(11 August 1997)
- How to Get Favorable Odds with Place Bets at Craps
(4 August 1997)
- 'Lay' Bets Get the Odds on Your Side at Craps
(28 July 1997)
- Getting the Odds on Your Side at Baccarat
(21 July 1997)
- Getting the Odds on Your Side at Roulette
(14 July 1997)
- When and Why to Split Fours at Blackjack
(7 July 1997)
- Getting the Odds on Your Side at Video Poker
(30 June 1997)
- Do and Don't Craps Bettors Look Alike to the Casinos
(23 June 1997)
- Can You Wait for a Winning Run?
(16 June 1997)
- When to Break the Maximum Coin Rule at the Slots
(9 June 1997)
- Why Blackjack Seems to Run in Streaks
(2 June 1997)
- Why Casino Bosses Don't Want You to Quit When You're Ahead
(26 May 1997)
- Is Playing the Percentages Right for You?
(19 May 1997)
- Why Maximum Expected Win Isn't the Only Betting Criterion
(12 May 1997)
- What's Your Shot at the Slots?
(5 May 1997)
- How Helpful Are Doubles and Splits in Blackjack?
(28 April 1997)
- How Betting Strategies Affect Your Chances
(21 April 1997)
- Does Peek-A-Boo Blackjack Affect Decision Strategy?
(14 April 1997)
- When and Why to Play the Progressive Slots
(7 April 1997)
- Another Foolproof Roulette System Bites the Dust
(31 March 1997)
- When and Why Buying Beats Placing at Craps
(24 March 1997)
- Don't Quit Your Day Job for the "Full-Pay" Slots
(17 March 1997)
- How to Play Soft 18 in Blackjack, and Why
(10 March 1997)
- How Low Rollers Can Play Longshots for Fun and Profit
(3 March 1997)
- What's the Best Way to Use a Match Play Coupon?
(25 February 1997)
- How Does Bankroll Fluctuation Affect Your Fortunes?
(18 February 1997)
- What to Shop for in a Blackjack Game
(11 February 1997)
- Stand Up Now for Gamblers' Rights
(4 February 1997)
- What Causes Streaks in Gambling?
(28 January 1997)
- What Money Management Can and Can't Do
(21 January 1997)
- Taking Odds in Craps Goes Beyond Cutting House Edge
(14 January 1997)
- In Blackjack, Splitting Is Good and Resplitting Is Better
(7 January 1997)
- Why a Video Poker Bonus May Be No Bargain
(24 December 1996)
- What's the Advantage of Card Counting in Blackjack?
(17 December 1996)
- What's the Best Time to Change Machines or Tables?
(10 December 1996)
- In Poker, Take Odds on the Pot; Don't Marry It
(3 December 1996)
- What Are Your Chances of a Profitable Match at Keno?
(26 November 1996)
- You Can Raise Your Chances of a Long Series of Winning Sessions
(19 November 1996)
- What's the Right Way to Shoot the Dice?
(12 November 1996)
- Is Playing by the Book Better than by Experience?
(5 November 1996)
- Why Games Seem Cold More Often Than Choppy or Hot
(22 October 1996)
- Game and Probability Theories May Suggest Different Strategies
(15 October 1996)
- Every System Works When You're Lucky
(8 October 1996)
- On the Slots, Avoid the Trap of the Small Bet and Next Pull
(1 October 1996)
- Splitting Eights Against A Ten: A Close Decision
(24 September 1996)
- Why Some Gamblers Need More Luck Than Others
(17 September 1996)
- In a Casino, Learning by Doing Can be Costly
(10 September 1996)
- You Can Change the Outcome of a Game, Not Control It
(3 September 1996)
- Longshots Can Be Attractive, But Not as Steady Bets
(27 August 1996)
- Play Multiple Spots at Blackjack to Moderate Bankroll Swings
(20 August 1996)
- Good Poker Hands Are Tougher To Get Than You May Think
(13 August 1996)
- The Higher Your Win Goal, The Less Chance You'll Reach It
(6 August 1996)
- When You Start Hedging or Holding Back, You're Betting Too High
(30 July 1996)
- The Song of the Martingale May be A Gambler's Siren Call
(23 July 1996)
- If You Can't Predict the Future, Here's What's Next Best
(9 July 1996)
- Do You Have a Better Chance with More Ways to Win?
(2 July 1996)
- Multiple Craps Bets Moderate Your Risk
(25 June 1996)
- Should You Take Insurance When You Have a Blackjack?
(18 June 1996)
- How to Weigh the Risks of Alternate Casino Wagers
(11 June 1996)
- When the Best Game in Town Proved to be Too Good
(4 June 1996)
- Probabilities, Not Casino Bosses, Control the Poker Machines
(28 May 1996)
- Players Aren't the Only Gamblers Who Defeat Themselves
(21 May 1996)
- Hedging Bets Levels the Ride but Cuts Profit Potential
(14 May 1996)
- Law of Averages Repealed; Casino Players Win and Lose
(7 May 1996)
- Slot Machines Are Programmed, But Not Like You May Think
(30 April 1996)
- In Blackjack, Optimum Play Varies with House Rules
(23 April 1996)
- Second Guessing May Help Your Attitude, But not Your Chances
(2 April 1996)
- The More You Try Winning, The More You Risk Losing
(26 March 1996)
- Winning Is Like Coming Out of the Rain
(19 March 1996)
- Chance to Win Depends on Fluctuation as well as Edge
(12 March 1996)
- Don't Let Winning and Losing Affect Your Self-Esteem
(5 March 1996)
- Slowly but Surely Wins at the Tables as in the Fables
(26 February 1996)
- When the Odds Say It's Best to Breach Basic Strategy
(5 February 1996)
- When You Quit, You Wonder What Would've Happened
(29 January 1996)
- Basic Strategy in Blackjack Accounts for All Unseen Cards
(22 January 1996)
- Aggressive Pressing Pits Big Wins against Wipe-Outs
(15 January 1996)
- Slot Payback Percentages Do Affect Your Chances
(8 January 1996)
- Casino Math Isn't Always What You Learned in School
(1 January 1996)
- How to Avoid Three Common Disputes at Craps
(31 December 1995)
- Casino Buffs Aren't Alone; Everyone Looks for Patterns
(11 December 1995)
- Patterns Exist in Gambling, But They're Meaningless
(4 December 1995)
- Numbers Can Fool You, in or out of the Casino
(27 November 1995)
- Consistency Means Never Having to Say "I Should'a"
(20 November 1995)
- You Can Bet Below the Table Minimum, for a Price
(13 November 1995)
- Blackjack Players Don't Glorify Sweet Sixteen
(6 November 1995)
- In and Out of the Casino, a Dollar is a Dollar
(30 October 1995)
- Doubling Down Cuts House Edge in Blackjack
(23 October 1995)
- Consider Bankroll, Win Goals, and House Edge in Your Playing Strategy
(9 October 1995)
- There Are Games in Which You Don't Want to Break the Bank
(2 October 1995)
- Which Casino is Best? De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est!
(25 September 1995)
- In Gambling as in Government, Anecdotal Evidence is Worthless
(18 September 1995)
- When You're Talking "True Odds," 5 times 6 equals 50
(11 September 1995)
- Coping with Chance is Tough in a Universe Normally Ruled by Law
(21 August 1995)
- When Dealers Make 21, It's Unbelievable; When You Do, It's Skill
(7 August 1995)
- Why Risk Missing-Out? Here's Hints to Beat 'Em at the Buffet
(31 July 1995)
- Casinos Let You Pick Your Own Odds, Even in Your Own Favor
(24 July 1995)
- Here Are Bets where Players and Casinos Both Have an Edge
(18 July 1995)
- How to Deal with the Occasional Inconsiderate Player
(10 July 1995)
- Different Bets May Not Offer Comparable Value
(3 July 1995)
- After a Loss, Recoup in Reasonable Steps
(12 June 1995)
- You Don't Have to Know the Math, Just That It's There
(29 May 1995)
- Blackjack Buffs Often Bungle Soft SEVENTEEN
(15 May 1995)
- How to Make Millions in Four or Five Years
(8 May 1995)
- Don't Let an Increased Table Limit Force You to Bet too High
(17 April 1995)
- New Table Games Let You Play Like an Expert
(17 April 1995)
- Long Rolls in Craps Are Great, But Can You Wait Long Enough
(10 April 1995)
- Pride and Prejudice Have No Place in a Casino
(3 April 1995)
- Wrong Calls Can Win, If You Get Enough Right Cards!
(27 March 1995)
- The Song Is Wrong -- Always Count Your Money At The Table
(20 March 1995)
- Players Can Avoid Prolonging Those Cold Streaks
(13 March 1995)
- Gambling Styles Reflect Players' Inner Motivations
(6 March 1995)
- Betting Systems May Not Deliver What You Think They Promise
(27 February 1995)
- Shaving the House Edge Lowers Your Need for Luck
(20 February 1995)
- Blackjack Dealers Break Less Often Than You May Think
(13 February 1995)
- The Odds Aren't What Gives the Casinos the Edge
(6 February 1995)
- In Gambling as in Life, Simpler Is Often Better
(16 January 1995)
- Don't Be Intimidated by Craps; It's Simpler than You Think
(9 January 1995)
- Some Machines Change the World; Slots Reflect It
(12 December 1994)
- Doubling Down in Blackjack Can Give the Player an Edge
(5 December 1994)
- The Time to Ask "What-If" is Before You Leave Home
(28 November 1994)
- Are You Crazy Enough to Win Big, Sane Enough to Keep It?
(14 November 1994)
- Combine Bets in Craps, But You Can't Cancel the House's Edge
(17 October 1994)
- Hedging Can Be a Costly Way to Protect Your Bets
(10 October 1994)
- What's to Thank When You Win, Blame When You Lose?
(3 October 1994)
- Casino Credit: Worthwhile for the Wary, Ruinous for the Reckless
(5 September 1994)
- Judgement and Discipline, Not Rules, Tell You When to Quit
(22 August 1994)
- Choose Slot Machines to Go for Broke or for a Modest Return
(15 August 1994)
- Should You Work Craps Bets on the Come-Out Roll?
(1 August 1994)
- Common Sense May Be Your Strongest Play in a Casino
(25 July 1994)
- In Blackjack, Choose Shoes to Avoid Hurting Defeat
(18 July 1994)
- Changing Tables or Machines Helps When the Next One's Better
(11 July 1994)
- In Blackjack, Taking Insurance Is Usually A Waste of Money
(4 July 1994)
- Long Rolls Happen at Craps... But, Can You Wait?
(27 June 1994)
- For Multiple Bets in Craps, Choose between Place and Come
(13 June 1994)
- Your Whole Bankroll May Be Greater than the Sum of Its Parts
(6 June 1994)
- The Best Times to Raise Your Bets Are When They Win
(30 May 1994)
- Winning Has More to Do with Character than You Might Think
(16 May 1994)
- Let Freebies Enhance, Not Dominate, Your Casino Visits
(2 May 1994)
- Why Players Are Always Coming from Behind, and How to Handle It
(25 April 1994)
- Blackjack Players Alter the Way Cards Flow, But Who Knows How?
(18 April 1994)
- Mistakes Are Always Costly, Otherwise They're Hunches
(4 April 1994)
- If You Think You've Got a Sure-Fire System, Think Again
(28 February 1994)
- Pros and Cons of the Three Ways to Hit It Big
(7 February 1994)
- Etiquette: A Little Does A Lot
(31 January 1994)
- Conjecture and the Cosmos
(24 January 1994)
- The Tables or the Slots?
(10 January 1994)
- That Million Dollar Feeling
(3 January 1994)
- Probability Laws Reign but Hunches Are Remembered
(1 January 1993)